Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A Summer of Shawls


I motored my way through the summer by knitting three shawls.  All a little different and all much loved already.   Here goes…….

This one was actually started in late April but not finished until towards the end of June.  This is not a project I put down for a while and came back to finish later.  I knit it twice.  Twice.  Seems that at the first few repeats at the beginning, I was so involved with the border portion that I forgot to increase.  I was nearing the finish line when I realized it and I immediately went into knitter’s denial.  I thought if I kept knitting it would right itself.  It didn’t.  So, I ripped it out and started over and this time, I knew the pattern so well it was knit practically in my sleep.


Meet Me at the Ryman
Note to Sandy, Virginia, Martha, and Allyson-you might want to skip this one since you all lived through it with me! 

This shawl was deadline knitting at its best-or maybe not.  This was one of those project that should have been relatively easy but somehow just wasn’t.  Like all knitters, I’m eternally optimistic.  I started it in the middle of June thinking I’d have plenty of time.  After all, I didn’t need it until the end of July!  But I didn’t count on knitting the first portion and then ripping it out and starting over, knitting the border and binding off, only to discover that I had dropped a stitch during the bind off.  Sigh.  I ripped out the border plus three rows and knit them again.  By this time, I was more than ready for this to be OFF my needles.  It was knit and blocked in plenty of time to wear to a Conference in Nashville.  And it got to meet the Ryman!
 

I have wanted to knit this shawl since it first came out.  I was gifted a very generous gift certificate to my LYS and with it, I purchased MadelineTosh in Thunderstorm just for this shawl.   Thankfully, there was no drama this time, just a nice straightforward knit.  I’ve already worn it several times and it is just perfect for throwing over my shoulders on a cool day or evening.  As usual with MadelineTosh yarns, it is difficult for me to capture the exact color of this yarn.  It is acutally black with little touches of light blue and gray.


As usual, these shawls traveled with me and were knit in various living rooms, a hotel room, roadtripping in the car (no worries, I was riding), at least one Starbucks, listening to Bluegrass over on Pine Mountain, knitting groups, and countless lunch breaks at work. 

Happy Kniting!

1 comment:

tamknots said...

Hey Yolanda,
I'm so glad to see you are blogging again! Keep it up! The shawls are beautiful! xo Tammy