Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Bunch of Knitting Going On


I’ve been knitting a lot lately and I mean a LOT.  It seems like I’ve been knitting more than usual but really, I think it’s just that I’ve been working on things that had a deadline of some sort. 

Two by Two
First up are the hats and booties I knit for Andrea’s twin boys and I finished them in the nick of time.  I finished them in time (with a couple of days to spare!) for her shower at work on the 5th and then left them on my kitchen table.  So, it was the next week when I got them to her.  The babies were born the next week, on the 17th.  They’re a little early but doing well.    

 

Roll Tide!
Next up, I made a Paris Scarf in Alabama team colors for my friend, Sandy.  Sandy crochets but when she saw the Alabama and Auburn scarves at In The Making, she fell in love with the Bama version.  Kits were handily for sale and so she bought one and I knitted it for her.  Just a note everyone:  per Robin at the shop, the sample has a cast on of 61 stitches so that’s what I used.  Sandy loves it! And it goes wonderfully with her Bama purse that our friend, Pam, made for her.

 

A Knit Along
Betsy and I finished our bi-state knit along of Color Affection.  Betsy finished almost an entire two weeks before I did but that’s OK.  I tell you, those last rows were almost painful.  I felt like I had been to the beach and back by the time I had completed two rows!  But the result is absolutely lovely.  No matter what I did, I couldn’t make gauge, so I settled for a 7 needle.  Next time, (if there is a next time), I think I should go down to a size 6 needle.  My goal was to finish in time to wear to the Sacred Harp singing at County Line this past Sunday and I made it with time to spare.  It was a chilly morning and chilly in the church so I was glad to have it around my shoulders. 

 

No Purling Required
I took Purl Dreams, a baby blanket for a co-worker’s new grand-daughter to be, with me to the Sacred Harp Singing with the hopes of finishing it.  And I did!  The faster they sang, the faster I knit!  I told them to keep singing fast songs.  I was ready for the bind off after lunch and bound off the last few stitches as they were singing the closing song.  It’s knit in the round so it looks kinda like a feed sack.  During the morning break, Henry stopped by to chat and couldn’t figure out how I was going to get it off the needles without cutting it.  He checked on the progress when the singing was over and was surprised to see it off the needles.  It's still unblocked, but here's a photo of it....

 

I’ve started on my Christmas knitting.  So far, the plan is to knit Honey Cowl and a few pairs of the Welted Fingerless Mitts.  I’ve also got my eye on Ferryboat Mitts, a new pattern from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.  Speaking of which, have you all seen their new Autumn release?  I want to knit them all!

No comments: