Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Long Weekend and a Road Trip

So, last Thursday's a week ago, my parents and I headed to one of my favorite places in the whole world - Berea, KY - for a long weekend away.  We have family there and I am always looking for an excuse to visit and to shop in the craft stores, stop for a coffee at Berea Coffee and Tea, and most important, visit the boys out at the farm.

My parents stayed on the square at historic Boone Tavern , while I stayed just down the street with my cousin. 


My parents absolutely loved staying here and are already looking forward to staying again sometime.  The hotel was built in 1909 after Mrs. Frost, the college president's wife, told her husband that something had to be done after hosting 300 guests in ONE summer!  At that time, college visitors and prospective students stayed with the Frosts. Just thinking about hosting 300 people in my home in one summer just boggles my mind!  Much of the furniture in the rooms were built by the college students. 

Mother and I stopped in at the Promenade Gallery on Center Street and I bought these:


Handcrafted knitting needles.  Aren't they gorgeous?  These happen to be a size 7.  I haven't used them yet but am so looking forward it.  They also had crochet hooks, which Mother bought, and needle gauges.

No visit to Berea is complete without a visit to the farm to see three of the most precious little boys ever! 

This is the view from the front porch.  This front porch has the most amazing front row seats to the sunset.  Unfortunately, it rained while we where there so we missed ou

It was great to see everyone and to catch up.  We came home already looking forward to going again.  







No comments: