Monday, February 7, 2011

Cast On Mania and a Recipe

I'm not really sure what was going on this weekend but I have cast on for two projects, still casting on for another (more on this in a minute), and swatched for yet another!  I cast on for a hat for my friend.  I had made her children hats.  When she called to thank me, she asked if I'd make one for her for next Christmas.  Now, as a knitter and a friend, I couldn't make her wait until next Christmas!  I also cast on for a baby blanket for a co-worker and I started the cast on for Barb's Koigu Ruffle.  I swatched for the Pashmina Cowl from Last Minute Knitted Gifts in Classic Elite Fresco but quickly realized that trying to count 26 stitches in black sport weight on a cloudy day was just too much for my eyes.  I'll have to wait for a sunny day for that. 

The hat and blanket are coming along nicely but I'm still casting on for the Koigu Ruffle.  There are only 648 stitches to case on for the Koigu Ruffle and I'm on 201.  So, still a ways to go there. 

Now for the recipe (sorry but no picture).  My Mother made this wonderful Banana Pudding for Sunday lunch yesterday.  It is my aunt's much beloved recipe:

Banana Pudding
1 big box Jello Vanilla Instant Pudding
3 cups milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
dash vanilla
1 large bowl Cool Whip
Vanilla Wafers
Bananas

Mix pudding and milk together until slightly thick.  Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and Cool Whip.  In a bowl, layer wafers, bananas, and pudding in that order.  Top with vanilla wafers.

Now, for those of you not familiar with banana pudding, it is a much loved dessert here in the South.  Since the advent of instant pudding, there are two camps:  instant pudding with Cool Whip and cooked pudding with meringue.  And everyone thinks their Mother/Grandmother makes the best (and rightly so).  My choice?  Personally,  I prefer the cooked pudding with meringue.  But I will happily eat either one.

No comments: